Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up this morning like a 5 year old on a sugar cookie high!   All my life, christmas eve is a much bigger deal than christmas day.  Following the traditional sicilian meal of the feast of the seven fishes, it's an all on production line in the kitchen today.
First course is Ivan's shrimp cocktail (he's an accomplished cocktailer these days, superb sauce coupled with perfectly prepared shrimp).  I know he's also bringing sausage, which is not traditionally part of the feast of the seven fishes, but how can I, or anyone, for that matter, possibly turn down succulent sausage???
Second course is crab and roasted corn bisque prepared by Miss Coco Dolly.  She's another one getting fairly comfortable in the kitchen lately.  Glad to see something other than my curly hair rubbed off on her.  I picture the future with Coco eventually taking over the brunt of the holiday cooking at the point when her kitchen is bigger than mine. 
Third course is angel hair fra diavlo with clams, mussels and anchovy, served with fried calamari and sweet pomodoro sauce.
Trying to recall the wines Lou and I paired with these courses .....a viognier and petit chablis.....I think.
Fourth course is seared sea scallops with pea puree and sauteed bronzino ( a mediterrean sea fish) with roasted butternut squash.   We have a pinot noir for this course.  So what it's a red....it's very low in tannin so it's just fine to pair with fish, so there!
Dessert is strufoli, christmas cookies and croquembouche, served with spiked eggnog, port, cognac and laced coffee.

I hope anyone who takes the time to read this knows that I appreciate the time you spend here.  Thanks so much for permitting me the opportunity to entertain you.  Merry christmas, be well, travel safely, eat heartily and laugh often.!!!
xxoxxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment