Thursday, September 3, 2009

And the really good thing is....

Other than the fact that cocktail hour is a mere 22 hours away....the really good thing is there were no additional casualties after the sub par cook and the nervous nelly. For all intents and purposes, the first week of Fall Semester, 2009 is neatly and securely packed away in the vault. Done deal. Withe the exception of a scrapes, bruises, nicks and burns, we are no worse for wear. All plates cleaned and accounted for, thank you oh so very much. Good by and good luck, thank you very much, you're on you're own, good night.

Which brings us to this holiday weekend. Sure, I have to go to work tomorrow to flash the numbers and cook the books, so to say..but as far as I can tell, the weekend began about 3 hours ago. In keeping with my latest tradition of spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, I had some interest in booking lodgings down the shore for the weekend. While we've spent almost every Saturday this past summer in Belmar, we have not experienced the Ocean City boardwalk at all this summer. Not that we're overmuch fond of a town so dry you could dehydrate apples on the sidewalk (can't find a drop of booze in that town for the price of all the tea in china) but we do appreciate the efforts of the entire community to be welcoming. Just don't be a boozer, that is.. So, before Lou and I ever set foot in Ocean City, we make the obligatory stop to the liquor store on the city limit line.

'Twasn't in the cards this weekend. I looked into a few places but nothing reached out and grabbed me or my wallet. Grabbing me or my wallet would have been a cinch, too...I'm as easy as a cheap date. I wasn't opposed to spending the money, I just don't like being forced to book more nights than I desire. A three night minimum on a holiday that only encompasses three days means ditching work either Friday or Tuesday. Since I'm already ditching work next Friday I don't see how I could possibly hit the company up again for time away. So, the Osborne Inn, Manna and the chef's most amazing paella, and even more sadly, Sea Isle City's Basillicos will not be graced with our presence this year. More's the pity, I say.

Saturday is looking to be quite the lovely day on the more northern stretch of the jersey shore. Belmar has the most magnificent beach I've ever been on. Sand as soft as powder, the beach is smoke free, and we are free to picnic and drink wine (out of a cranberry juice bottle....why yes, officer, I always drink cranberry juice on the beach, it keeps me from peeing in the ocean....) to our hearts content. This may be the last weekend I can get down there. Too many other obligations on the horizon which will prevent additional sojourns.

The weekend menu is shaping up. The food challenge at NetCookingTalk.Com is Battle Burger. Strange that a burger battle happens to fall on a holiday weekend that literally screams for burgers, but who am I to question the ways and works of the secret challenge. I just participate, ya know..? So, Saturday, after a full 8 hours on the beach we'll be back home drinking bourbon sidecars and prepping dinner. Not quite sure what an appropriate first course is when burgers are the headliner...but I'm thinking fried zucchini slices with goat cheese and mango slices. The burger must be served with sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese, not that 1/2 a pound of ground beef needs a friend, but in a for a penny, in for a pound, I say. Before our arteries have a chance to unclog, I'm considering a creme brulee for dessert, or chocolate pots de creme.

Sunday is a bonus night...I get to treat it like a Saturday and start the jazz and liquor parade all over again. Hard to think this far in advance what the cocktail will be.. but the first course is a warm salad of green beans with pan fried potatoes & pancetta. Dinner will be slow braised ham hocks over gnocchi with butternut squash, walnuts and dried cranberries. A dinner like this is screaming for cornbread and I shall oblige, naturally. It's also demanding a pumpkin pie for dessert, which I shall also oblige. Please do forgive if I don't roast and peel a milk pumpkin this early in the season. I'll get around to that chore soon enough.

With a planned menu ( I have no idea what we're doing for Monday, but I surely hope reservations are involved!) the weekend has begun. Crack open the ice trays, it's just about time for jazz and liquor.

No comments:

Post a Comment